Incoming Students


Orientation 2021

  • Title IX Training - Any graduate or professional student enrolled in a graduate program requiring more than 10 credits of in-person instruction or in any other graduate program designated by the Provost is required to complete training in the recognition, prevention and reporting of sexual misconduct, harassment and sexual violence (often known as Title IX training). The required Title IX training offered by the Office of Diversity & Inclusion training can be found here

Incoming Student Frequently Asked Questions

Congratulations on your acceptance! We look forward to meeting you in the Fall! Visit our FAQ page for some important information to help guide you through the processes following your tuition deposit.

Field Education

Exemption Exams

Incoming students who have not earned a bachelor’s degree in Social Work are eligible to take exemption exams for Human Behavior and the Social Environment  (HBSE)  and  Generalist Social Work Research course. Additionally, students beginning the MSW Program who have earned their bachelor's in social work and who did not receive advanced standing credit for the mentioned  courses may also wish to take this exam if they believe they have mastered the material. Passing the exam allows exemption from the required course; it does not confer credits.  Students earn those credits by taking another class. 

For the HBSE course, students who have completed undergraduate work in human, family, and community development may know this material and wish to take this exam to determine if they can exempt from this class. The current text book for this class is:   Rogers, A.T. (2019). Human behavior in the social environment (5th ed.). Routledge.

For the Generalist Social Work Research Course, the current text book is:  Engel, R. J., & Schutt, R. K. (2017). Practice of research in social work (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.

For more information please contact Dr. Keith Caldwell, Associate Dean for Student Success. 

Incoming Student Academic Resources

International Students

All newly accepted international students please refer to the University of Pittsburgh Office of International Services (OIS) website.

Student Organizations

Writing APA Resources

Living in Pittsburgh

Other Resources