- Our Plans for Fall 2021
- Campus Map
- Information on how to get your Pitt ID. To save time upload your photo ahead of time.
- Follow us on social media for announcements, events and more (links at the bottom of the page)
- Medical Coverage for Students.
- Access the updated way to View/Accept/Decline your Financial Aid Awards.
- Looking for more information? Visit our Incoming Student Resource Blog
- Title IX Training - Any graduate or professional student enrolled in a graduate program requiring more than 10 credits of in-person instruction or in any other graduate program designated by the Provost is required to complete training in the recognition, prevention and reporting of sexual misconduct, harassment and sexual violence (often known as Title IX training). The Title IX training offered by the Office of Diversity & Inclusion is being updated due to new Title IX Regulations. The updated training will be posted at the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website once it is finalized.
Incoming Student Frequently Asked Questions
Congratulations on your acceptance! We look forward to meeting you in the Fall! Visit our FAQ page for some important information to help guide you through the processes following your tuition deposit.
- Message from Director of Field Education John Dalessandro
- Field Placement Reminder for Incoming Students, April 2021
Incoming students who have not earned a bachelor’s degree in Social Work are eligible to take exemption exams for Human Behavior and the Social Environment (HBSE) and Generalist Social Work Research course. Additionally, students beginning the MSW Program who have earned their bachelor's in social work and who did not receive advanced standing credit for the mentioned courses may also wish to take this exam if they believe they have mastered the material. Passing the exam allows exemption from the required course; it does not confer credits. Students earn those credits by taking another class.
For the HBSE course, students who have completed undergraduate work in human, family, and community development may know this material and wish to take this exam to determine if they can exempt from this class. The current text book for this class is: Rogers, A.T. (2019). Human behavior in the social environment (5th ed.). Routledge.
For the Generalist Social Work Research Course, the current text book is: Engel, R. J., & Schutt, R. K. (2017). Practice of research in social work (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
For more information please contact Dr. Keith Caldwell, Associate Dean for Student Success.
Incoming Student Academic Resources
- Course Descriptions
- Class Schedules
- Field Education (Check out the Field FAQs infographic created by the Student Executive Council (SEC).)
All newly accepted international students please refer to the University of Pittsburgh Office of International Services (OIS) website.
- BASW Club
- MSW Student Executive Council
- Doctoral Student Organization (DSO)
- Union of Black Social Work Students
- Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG)
Writing APA Resources
- Mini APA Orientation Training (Pitt username required)
- APA Quick Reference Guide
- Taylor & Francis editing standards: Updates of American Psychological Association documentation style (2020)
- Taylor & Francis Journals Standard Reference Style Guide: American Psychological Association, Seventh Edition (APA-7)
- DOI and URL Flowchart
- Transition Words: Little Words That Do a Lot
Living in Pittsburgh
- The Cool Pittsburgh website has information about where to live, eat, shop, and play in Pittsburgh: https://www.coolpgh.pitt.edu/
- University of Pittsburgh Housing Resource Center
- Mental Health Resources for Social Workers & Providers in the Pittsburgh Community
- Mental Health Resources for Students on Pitt's Campus
- Student Immunization FAQs
- Viewing Schedule in Student System
- Orientation Tips 2019
- Change Address
- Children, Youth, and Families Certificate Program Flyer
- Child Welfare Workforce Excellence Fellows Program Flyer
- Child Welfare Education for Baccalaureates Flyer