Student Executive Council Election Voting Starts Now!
Some positions have not received applications. You can run for the position by putting your name and contact information on the ballot for each position you're interested in. Voting will end at 5:00PM on Sunday, November 22nd.
The Student Executive Council serves as the voice of the graduate students in Pitt's School of Social Work. If there is something you would like to see brought to the attention of your colleagues, an issue you feel should be addressed, or an event that you'd like to have publicized, please feel free to contact us. Also on this website, you can find:
- How to get funding for conferences and trips related to social work
- Information about being a student in the MSW program, whether the Community Organization, and Social Action or Direct Practice track.
- A list of currently serving officers
Connect with us through Facebook by joining our group. You will be able to access photos, post discussions, receive messages from SEC, and simply connect with your fellow social work students!
You can also follow us on Instagram.
Resources for Students
The officers of the Student Executive Council are elected annually by the students in Pitt's School of Social Work. They work with the administration on behalf of the student body in activities such as Orientation and the career fairs.
Elections are typically held annually in November. Information about the elections will be posted as dates and times are set.
Students in the School of Social Work are always welcomed to join with the officers of SEC in putting together events and in working with the administration.
- Diversity Committee - The Diversity Committee’s primary task is to enhance the overall culture of diversity in the School of Social Work by elevating concerns revolving around diversity and providing intersectional programming to improve cultural competency in accordance with the NASW Code of Ethics. The Diversity Committee seeks to build bridges, uphold structural integrity and demands that we become social engineers and activists seeking justice. This committee meets biweekly on Tuesdays from 5-6pm in CL2306C. (September 3, 2019 meeting is in 2217E)
- Student Experience Committee- The Students Experience Committee is dedicated to addressing concerns that students have related to classes, advising, field learning, being a traditional, advanced standing, non-traditional, part-time, full-time, and/or international student. Essentially if you are a student, and you have a concern related to your education, the Student Experience Committee is there to assist you. We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic and related or other changes to our lives can have an emotional, physical, social, and financial toll.
GPSG (Graduate and Professional Student Government)
Another great way to get involved on campus, is to become connected with graduate students at other schools through the Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG). GPSG is the student government for all graduate and professional students at the Oakland campus of the University of Pittsburgh. They hold one large event each semester, orientation events, as well as smaller social events throughout the semester. GPSG is also able to provide travel grants to graduate students for academic conferences.
For more information on how to get involved with events or to contact a officer, check out their website, Facebook and twitter.