Seven Things You Need to Know about Continuing Education:
- The Pitt SSW Continuing Education department is offering 10 live CE courses via an online platform from September-December. Learn more and register for an upcoming course!
- PA Social workers, LPCs and LMFTs are now able to take all 30 required CE hours online. Restrictions of online versus in person CE hours were removed as of November 2019. If you are a resident of another state, please check with your state licensing board.
- Current field instructors and adjunct faculty are eligible for a 50% discount on all CE courses! Please contact Shana at email@example.com to register with this discount.
- The current licensure cycle ends February 28, 2025
- Please check the CE website often for updates as we are currently building a repository of on-demand online CE courses.
- We continue to approve co-sponsorship trainings for those in our community offering online CE trainings. Please utilize the online forms found here to submit your application for co-sponsorship and your after-training materials.
- Course requirements for PA social workers, LMFT and LPCs are as follows:
- 3 hours of Act 31 Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting
- 3 hours of Ethics Instruction
- 1+ hours of Suicide Prevention and Intervention
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I continue my practice in Pennsylvania if I have an out of state social work license?
Social Work License: Pennsylvania has no formal reciprocity for social work licensing with any other state. If an LSW or LCSW was not originally licensed in Pennsylvania, he or will have to apply for a state license by:
- Meeting all of the standard qualifications for licensure as stated above
- Providing a letter from the candidate’s home jurisdiction Board acknowledging his or her license, certification, and ongoing practice while reporting any violations
- Proving that the ASWB exam taken in his or her home jurisdiction aligns with the exam offered in the state of Pennsylvania and the score received would indicate a passing score in Pennsylvania If a candidate is registered on the ASWB Social Work Registry, ASWB will provide their exam score to any social work board at no additional cost. Licensing Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements: LSWs and LCSWs must renew their licenses every two years and pay a fee of $95. To be eligible for renewal, LSWs and LCSWs have to earn 30 hours of continuing education during that time period.
- Who is eligible to receive credits for continuing education workshops and online trainings?
Social workers licensed in Pennsylvania or those with a(n) (LCSW, LSW, LPC and LMFT), as well as social workers licensed in New York, (LMSW, LCSW) are eligible to receive credits for any continuing education trainings we provide. However, those who do not hold a social work license are still welcome and encouraged to take our courses and receive a certificate for completing a course.
- How are certificates issued?
Certificates are issued and sent through email for all online trainings. The only exception is in-person training in which certificates are issued physically.
- If I lost my certificate, how can I get a replacement?
In order to receive a replacement certificate, you will need to contact the Continuing Education Program Coordinator by calling 412-360-8190 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to have the title and date of the program you attended.
- If I need to cancel registration for a workshop, how should I do it?
Please refer to our cancellation policy
- Should I expect a confirmation after registering for an online workshop?
Yes, a confirmation email will be sent to you at least a week before the online workshop, this email will include the time, zoom link and password as well as workshop handouts.
- What requirements need to be met to complete a continuing education workshop in order to receive a certificate?
In Person Training: Attend the training and complete the course evaluation provided to you after the training is finished.
Live Webinar Training: Attend the training and complete the posttest and course evaluation link provided to you once the training is finished.
Canvas Catalog Asynchronous Training: Complete all of the modules and assignments listed in the course.
- How long will it take for me to receive my certificate after taking an online workshop?
You will receive a certificate within 3-5 business days after the workshop.
- How do I sign up for e-blast news and updates?
Easy, fill out this super quick form below: