International Students

Asian students studying

BASW Applicants  |  MSW Applicants  |  PhD Applicants

English Language Testing (for all applicants)

  • The University of Pittsburgh TOEFL code is 2927
  • The School requires a minimum score of 100 (with a minimum of 25 on verbal) on the TOEFL test and 7.0 on the IELTS test in order to be considered for admission.  The School highly recommends and much prefers that applicants take the IELTS examination.
  • An English-Language Test is not required if you completed a degree at a University or College where English is the first Language
  • Duolingo English proficiency test also accepted (with a minimum score of 125)
  • A Skype interview may be required for International Applicants

BASW Applicants

The School of Social Work welcomes applications from students from other countries. Undergraduate international applicants should contact:

Office of Admissions and Financial Aid University of Pittsburgh

Applicants may also wish to contact the following office:

University of Pittsburgh Office of International Services William Pitt Union Pittsburgh, PA 15260 412-624-7125

Click here for more information about the English Language Proficiency Test and the English Language Comprehensibility Test.

MSW Applicants

Submit an Online Application »

Request More Information


Applicants to the master's program who have a social work degree from a college or university outside the United States and who wish to have their transcripts evaluated for advanced standing credit should contact the Council on Social Work Education's Foreign Equivalency Determination Service.

We require a course-by-course evaluation completed for any international college courses taken. An evaluation is also needed for any transcripts not provided in English. We accept evaluations from any members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) organization. You can find a list of NACES members here

Please note:  All transcripts must be sent directly to GradCAS, the application platform, either electronically or via mail. Instructions on how to do so can be found in GradCAS once you begin your application. (My Application > Academic History > Colleges Attended). The University of Pittsburgh is unable to accept transcripts through mail. If transcripts are mailed, they must be sent directly from the registrar of the institution officially to GradCAS. Please contact the School of Social Work if you are experiencing difficulty.

PhD Applicants

Apply here »