Social Work Minor

Minor Requirements

Undergraduates throughout the university are able to complete a Social Work minor. In order to do so they must:

  1. Register with the BASW Program Director Toya Jones who will certify that they are completing the social work minor.
  2. Complete (with a grade of C- or better) The Social Work Minor requires the successful completion of 15 credits from the following list of courses:
  • SOCWRK 1000: Introduction to Social Work (Required for all subsequent courses with the exception of SOCWRK 1005.) This is a service-learning course and requires 45 hours of volunteer service. Offered Fall and Spring Terms
  • SOCWRK 1005: Foundations of the Welfare State (offered in Fall Term) 
  • SOCWRK 1006: Policy Analysis (pre-requisites SOCWRK 1000 & SOCWRK 1005; offered in Spring Term.) This is a service-learning course and requires 45 hours of volunteer service. 
  • SOCWRK 1035: Global Perspectives in Social Work (offered in Spring Term) 
  • SOCWRK 1040: Poverty and Income Inequality: Social Responses (offered in Spring Term) 
  • SOCWRK 1058: Economics and Social Work (offered in Fall Term) 
  • SOCWRK 1059: Child and Family Advocacy (offered in Spring Term) 
  • SOCWRK 1063: African-American Health Issues (offered in Fall Term) 
  • SOCWRK 1079: Child Welfare Services (offered in both Fall and Spring Terms) 

All courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better  

The Social Work Minor is available to all Pitt students! 

For more information, contact the BASW director Dr. Toya Jones at

Social Work Minor Flyer (PDF)

Browne Leadership Fellows Program

The Browne Leadership Fellows Program is an interdisciplinary fellowship aimed at preparing non-social work major students to be engaged civic leaders working to advance economic and social justice. Read more about the Program.