Persons seeking admission to the PhD Program must demonstrate the potential for doctoral studies. All applicants to the Doctoral Program in Social Work must provide the following:
- Completion of the PhD Application.
- Official copies of all official undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
- *Optional: GREs taken within the last five years. (Use code 2927).
- Personal Statement: Please describe in your general statement the following (typewritten): Why you are applying for a PhD in Social Work? Why you are applying to Pitt's SSW. Social Problem Area of Interest. What you see yourself doing after you have completed a PhD? Your special skills and abilities, your limitations as well as your strengths. How your abilities will contribute to your development as a social work researcher and educator. Experiences with cultural and diverse groups other than your own.
- Writing sample: You may choose anything that will show the committee that you can write clearly and coherently about topics relevant to social work, ideally, research topics relevant to social work. Ideally, samples will be five pages or less, but longer is acceptable.
- Three letters of reference from professors and persons who have known the applicant in a professional capacity. Do not include personal references.
- The $50 application fee is waived for fall 2023 applicants.
Apply to the School of Social Work PhD Program
Please use the above link and follow GradCAS guidelines for sending official transcripts. Please contact the admissions office if you are experiencing difficulty.
The doctoral program is strongly committed to a policy of equal educational opportunity for people of all races, creeds and ethnic origins.