English Language Testing (for all applicants)
- The University of Pittsburgh TOEFL code is 2927
- The School requires a minimum score of 100 (with a minimum of 21 on verbal) on the TOEFL test and 7.0 on the IELTS test in order to be considered for admission. The School highly recommends and much prefers that applicants take the IELTS examination.
- An English-Language Test is not required if you completed a degree at a University or College where English is the first Language
- Duolingo English proficiency test also accepted (with a minimum score of 120)
- A Skype interview may be required for International Applicants
The School of Social Work welcomes applications from students from other countries. Undergraduate international applicants should contact:
Applicants may also wish to contact the following office:
University of Pittsburgh Office of International Services William Pitt Union Pittsburgh, PA 15260 412-624-7125
Click here for more information about the English Language Proficiency Test and the English Language Comprehensibility Test.
Applicants to the master's program who have a social work degree from a college or university outside the United States and who wish to have their transcripts evaluated for advanced standing credit should contact the Council on Social Work Education's Foreign Equivalency Determination Service.
The School of Social Work recognizes the financial hardship cost to have a NACES transcript evaluation completed. Therefore we are no longer requiring a credential evaluation for international students.
Please note: All transcripts must be sent directly to GradCAS, the application platform, either electronically or via mail. Instructions on how to do so can be found in GradCAS once you begin your application. (My Application > Academic History > Colleges Attended). The University of Pittsburgh is unable to accept transcripts through mail. If transcripts are mailed, they must be sent directly from the registrar of the institution officially to GradCAS. Please contact the School of Social Work if you are experiencing difficulty.