International Students

BASW Applicants

The School of Social Work welcomes applications from students from other countries. Undergraduate international applicants should contact:

Office of Admissions and Financial Aid University of Pittsburgh

Applicants may also wish to contact the following office:

University of Pittsburgh Office of International Services William Pitt Union Pittsburgh, PA 15260 412-624-7125

Social Work Admission Supplemental Form

Click here for more information about the English Language Proficiency Test and the English Language Comprehensibility Test.

MSW Applicants

Submit an Online Application>

Request More Information

Applicants to the master's program who have a social work degree from a college or university outside the United States and who wish to have their transcripts evaluated for advanced standing credit should contact the Council on Social Work Education's Foreign Equivalency Determination Service.

The School of Social Work recognizes the financial hardship cost to have a NACES transcript evaluation completed. Therefore we are no longer requiring a credential evaluation for international students. Please have your official English-translated transcript sent to the address below.

University of Pittsburgh
School of Social Work
Office of Admissions
2104 Cathedral of Learning
4200 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15260

English Language Testing

  • The University of Pittsburgh TOEFL code is 2927
  • The School requires a minimum score of 100 (with a minimum of 21 on verbal) on the TOEFL test and 7.0 on the IELTS test in order to be considered for admission.  The School highly recommends and much prefers that applicants take the IELTS examination.
  • An English-Language Test is not required if you completed a degree at a University or College where English is the first Language
  • A Skype interview may be required for International Applicants

PhD Applicants

To apply, click here

TOEFL Score Requirements

  • The University of Pittsburgh TOEFL code is 2927
  • Applicants should have a score of 100 or better on their TOEFL (with a minimum of 21 on verbal)
  • No TOEFL is required for applicants who complete their MSW degree at a CSWE accredited program in the United States.

International Graduate Student Supplement

In order for your visa to be processed, we require you submit the "International Graduate Student Supplement" form for the correct year. You may need to submit a bank statement showing you have access to sufficent funds for one year of study in the United States. If you are accepted into our program, this should be sent with your letter accepting our offer.