- Assistant Professor, School of Social Work and Department of Psychiatry and Direct Practice Chair
Dr. Darren L. Whitfield is an assistant professor of social work and psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Social and Department of Psychiatry. He also serves as the Direct Practice Chair for the School of Social Work. As a researcher, his scholarship focuses on psychosocial, sociocultural, and structural factors associated with health outcomes for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community, particular communities of color using an intersectional framework.
Dr. Whitfield has more than 10 years of practice experience working in the HIV/AIDS field working at the AIDS Project of Central Iowa, The Virginia Department of Health, and The Kansas City Free Health Clinic. Currently, he serves on the board of directors for the Persad Center, is an advisory board member for AIDS Free Pittsburgh, and a commissioner for the Pittsburgh City Commission on AIDS.
- HIV prevention among Black gay and bisexual men
- Violence, discrimination and harassment of LGBTQ adults
- Health disparities among LGBTQ adults
- Intersectionality and identity
Selected Funded Grants
Co-Principal Investigator, Darren Whitfield. The Effect of Partner Characteristics on Sexual Risk Taking among Black Men Who Have Sex with Men. Funder: Public Good Grant Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning at the University of Denver.
- Minority Fellowship Program, Council on Social Work Education
- Council on Racial, Ethnic, and Cultural Diversity Scholarship Award, Council on Racial, Ethnic, and Cultural Diversity, Council on Social Work Education
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Expression (SOGE) Scholarship Award, Council on Sexual Orientation and Gender Expression, Council on Social Work Education
- Mentoring Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania Center for AIDS Research
Hightow-Weidman, L., Magnus, M., Beauchamp, G., Hurt, C., Shoptaw, S., Emel, L., Piwowar-Manning, E., Mayer, K., Nelson, L. E., Wilton, L., Watkins, P., Whitfield, D. L., Fields, S., & Wheeler, D. (2019). Incidence and correlates of STIs among Black men who have sex with men participating in the HPTN 073 PrEP study. Clinical Infectious Diseases
Whitfield, D. L., Kattari, S. K., Langenderfer-Magruder, L., Walls, N. E., & Ramos, D. (2019). The crossroad of identities: Predictors of harassment among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and queer Coloradoan adults. Journal of the Society for Social Work Research, 10 (2). https://doi.org/10.1086/702262
Eaton, L. A., Matthews, D. D., Bukowski, L. A., Friedman, M. R., Chandler, C. J., Whitfield, D. L., Sang, J. M., Stall, R. D., & The POWER Study Team. (2018). Elevated HIV prevalence and correlates of PrEP use among a community sample of Black men who have sex with men. JAIDS, 79(10), 339-346. https://doi.org/10.1097/QAI.0000000000001822
Whitfield, D. L., Kattari, S. K., Walls, N. E., & Al-Tayyib, A. (2017). Grindr, scruff, and on the hunt: Predictors of condomless anal sex, internet use, and mobile application use among men who have sex with men. American Journal of Men's Health, 11(3), 775-784. https://doi.org/10.1177/1557988316687843.
Whitfield, D. L., Coulter, R. W. S., Langenderfer-Magruder, L., & Jacobson, D. (2018). Experiences of Intimate Partner Violence among Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer college students: An intersectional analysis. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0886260518812071