Service to Others Living Learning Community (LLC)
One of the hallmarks of outstanding leaders is an awareness of the challenges faced by society and our local communities. Many future employers, as well as many graduate and professional schools, are looking for individuals who have contributed in a meaningful way to their community and who have applied their academic knowledge through service. Service learning guides the upperclass Service to Others Living Learning Community (LLC) experience in partnership with Pitt’s School of Social Work. The knowledge and skills gained from academic coursework and co-curricular activities enable students to actively engage in positive community change.
- Students residing in the Service to Others LLC participate in a bi-monthly reflection seminar over their two (2) semesters in residence This seminar has generally met on Thursdays from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. in Panther Hall.
- Specifically, the Service to Others LLC provides students with guided service learning experiences. In addition to the service learning seminar class, residents of this community are required to participate in group and individual community service activities each term in support of critical community service organizations and issues that also provide opportunities to:
- Network with knowledgeable nonprofit, social service, business, government, and community leaders to develop and refine leadership skills.
- Be mentored by faculty, staff of the residence hall, and community leaders, a process which has been demonstrated to enhance the likelihood of academic and career success; and
- Connect with fellow students interested in social justice and community service in a structured service learning community that also allows exploration of skills and careers in Social Work and related helping professions. Residents who are interested will have enhanced opportunities to complete an undergraduate degree or minor in Social Work and apply to the graduate programs in Social Work (MSW and PhD).
See more LLC photos on Flickr.